Subject:
Re: Chair design/maker question?

Yonak
I'm thinking the designers rely on the angle of the legs for rigidity. The stretchers only keep the bottoms of the legs in the proper proximity. After all, you have to have a horizontal place to hike your feet on.

Of course, there are lots of chairs, especially more formal chairs that have straight legs. For these chairs the backs are normally extensions of the legs, and vice versa, which allow more attachment area to the seat. Also, these kind of chairs normally have extra bracing, often metal braces, under the seat.

It kind of reminds me of a question I asked my contractor when we had our house built, before the time when angled braces were incorporated into walls, "If all the members are either vertical or horizontal, what keeps the house from collapsing during a strong wind ?" The answer was the integrity of the entire structure teams up to hold everything together. No component, on its own could do it but, when it all works together, it's strong. Maybe this lends an answer to the vertical chair leg conundrum. All the braces, all the stretchers work in concert to maintain the integrity of the chair.

Perhaps the reason Stickley puts a series of vertical pieces on the sides is to help the strength from the, aforementioned, rocking back on the back legs. I feel certainly so.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081