Subject:
Re: Alternating Clamps
Response To:
Re: Alternating Clamps ()

John K Jordan
>>>I would have thought building it face down on a flat surface so I could tap down the boards would be a good thing. Not so? If I can get it as level as the floor is I’d likely be happy.

Depending on your clamps they might put more pressure one side than the other causing the boards to slide beyond your ability to put them back into place.

To make it lie flat and clamp from both sides you might put down a couple of stout straight timbers (4x4's?), make the upper surfaces to lie in the same plane (winding sticks), then assemble your glueup on top, upper face of the slab down. Some kind of waxed paper or plastic wrap over the support boards might prevent gluing them permanently to your counter top.

Raising the slab off the floor will give you room to alternate the clamps, one under, one, over, etc. Since the flooring boards will likely be flexible you may need a number of clamps and/or some big cauls. I don't know what the experts use but I would want a clamp every 12" or so. That's a bunch of clamps. (reminds me of the old saying, you can't have too many clamps) If you don't have enough maybe you can borrow some.

If you haven't done this before be careful of the time you have before the glue sets up, one good reason to make this in several sections. If there is any question I like to do a "dry run" first, brushing on pretend glue and placing and tighten the clamps, watching the clock. The safe time you have depends on the type of glue and perhaps the shop temperature and humidity. All may be wasted if the glue on the first boards starts to set up before you get the clamps on.

You can certainly plane the top by hand or with an electric plane - I've done this several times, followed by hand scraping or sanding. It takes skill (that I don't have) to plane a large piece perfectly but maybe you don't need perfect. It might save some trouble to align the boards in advance to minimize planing "downhill" on adjacent boards.

I'm sure the real woodworkers here have better advice and answers to specific questions - I mostly play with lathes and don't make things like this anymore.

JKJ

Messages In This Thread

Help with a butcher block top
Massive
Re: Help with a butcher block top
More on clamping
weight issue
Re: weight issue
test it
Agree...
Re: Agree... *PIC*
fatal and near fatal errors
Some sage advice
Re: Some sage advice
Save yourself a lot of trouble *PIC*
Re: Save yourself a lot of trouble
suggestion
Re: suggestion
More explanation....
Re: More explanation....
Re: He is running lengthwise
Yeah, but.....
Wandering OT
Re: Yeah, but.....
Tool to smooth the top??
Knots - character or trouble?
Might cause issues? You ever use a hand plane?
Re: Might cause issues? You ever use a hand plane?
Re: Knots - character or trouble?
All planes need the same skills
A couple of questions....
Re: A couple of questions....
glue appplication information
Re: glue appplication information
$12/bdft for 8/4 hard maple? Wow! *NM*
I answered this question in my first reply
Re: I answered this question in my first reply
Are you just adding one board for each glue-up?
Walk before you run
Re: Walk before you run
Re: Walk before you run
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081