Re: Terminology clarification requested

John McGaw
I don't know that there is any universally-accepted style definition for such furniture. I sometimes call my stuff "Shaker-inspired" not because it looks like any particular piece of real Shaker-made furniture but because I have studied much of what remains of their historical pieces and add little touches that seem to be similar in what I make. Usually the internal dialogue has questions like "would the Shakers find this piece offensive?" Even that is futile since the real Shaker craftsmen (and it was men who made most of the furniture) were invariably inspired by what was in the world outside their communities -- there are pieces that are incredibly primitive and others that look much like later Victorian. Some scholars have compared some high-period Shaker furniture to Danish modern or at least have shown a connection in the clean simple lines and forms.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.