Subject:
agree, done and a tale obout Cr(VI)

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I have sent them my experimental results as well as links to authoritative publications describing what is considered acceptable handling, storage and disposal, as well as toxicology data. I expect them to consider this information, solicit information from their trusted consultants and come up with a response that is reasoned as well as scientifically and regulatory valid. Mass. has state regulations that apply to the author's use, but that is his problem not mine.

The FWW author did his best to disguise the fact he was using hexavalent chromium [CR(VI)] by calling what he was using "potash". Chemists of the world would have some reservations with this liberty in chemical nomenclature. To what ever extent readers recognize he is advocating Cr(VI) FWW will get an ear full.

Years ago I recommended using stainless steel anodes for electrolysis cleaning. Someone claimed, with no supporting data, that this anode would generate hexavalent chromium. Apparently this claim was more believable that my data to the contrary. For years I have gotten shrill emails form "concerned citizens" imploring or threatening me to retract my recommendation. I concluded that hexavalent chromium is a passionate concern among some.

I was at a SAPFM meeting where a high school teacher showed projects his students had stained with Cr(VI). I was aghast. Using a proven carcinogen in high school shop, really! I asked, and was denied, time to tell of the hazards of Cr(VI). People just don't want to hear it.

I don't find the result on walnut attractive. The stain on mahogany is nice but one can get to the same place with dye stain. How Cr(VI), one of the most powerful oxidizing agents, will affect finish over time is unknown. There may be enough experience with shellac to come to a conclusion. It's a chemistry experiment with an unknown long term result with anything else. There just is no valid reason to use it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081