Subject:
Veneer?

Tony - Memphis
Too many folks get caught up in the minutia....veneer is technically:

ve·neer
vəˈnir/Submit
noun
a thin decorative covering of fine wood applied to a coarser wood or other material.
verb
cover (something) with a decorative layer of fine wood.

Notice that there is NO mention of qualifying thickness!!!

So, yes, it IS veneering. I haven't tried what you are describing exactly. I normally do the same thing but have always used thicker wood just because. For something like claro where you might have a need to use thinner stock so you can replicate a pattern, then I would certainly go thinner. I would think that a heavy 3/16 or 1/4 would be ok. I have certainly seen other folks do that.

Good luck with your project. We'd love to see some pics. That claro can be some lovely stuff!

I have clamped many a panel with cauls made of mdf and melamine. I just used lots of clamps. On a long or wide surface, I might used a curved caul above the flat caul to make sure I had force in the middle. Sometimes, I use a piece of scrap veneer or a popsicle stick placed under the middle of the caul to force the issue. I think Barry mentioned making the veneer oversize - that is a good idea - things get real slippery and start moving - its a Murphy thing I believe! I use blue tape to tape the piece down before clamping -that helps a bit.

Tony

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081