Subject:
my experience
Response To:
hands ()

John K Jordan
Mike,

I'm almost 68. For now I don't have problems with weak hands but I do get cramps and soreness, mostly after gripping small things too long. The worst for me is sanding at the lathe since I sand mostly by hand with the lathe off.

But first, have you seen to a doctor about this? Seems it would be important to see if they can find any specific problem before starting on a self-treatment program. About 20 years ago I had horrible hand problems with pain and dexterity and some numbness. The doctor checked for arthritis and other things but it turned out to be a problem with nerves from an elbow issue, confirmed by a neurologist. A physical therapist showed me some things to help. One was increasing the size of handles with foam sleeves. Also recommended were finger, hand and wrist exercises. And the rubber ball - I used to carry one and use it many times a day. They had special balls the right size and with just the right amount of resistance.

Those problems are long gone but I deal now with the cramping and soreness. What helps me the most is stretching with breaks. I stretch all fingers outwards and hold, repeat. I stretch and flex each finger one at a time. Press all fingers together with both hands. Massage each hand with the opposing thumb.

Another thing which might be worth a try for sore hands. I used to "warm" up for piano playing by soak both hands in a sink of hot water for a few minutes. This worked wonders! (especially in the winter) I haven't tried it in the shop since I don't have hot water but remembering it just now I think I'll walk up to the house and try this the next time my hands cramp.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081