Subject:
Bits n Pieces of All Posted

Alan Young
Good stuff here---Bill's point about enough molding is important-Especially with the specialty molding employed in his piece shown here. If you are using stock molding-there is something less annoying about returning to the Lumber yard Home center to get another 6 feet because you used up too much making "mistakes" in the wrapping process..On the other hand I find when fabricating my moldings there is a psychological battle between making enough extra for the "in case I screw it up" moments and "oh- everything went fine now I have all this extra and have to store it so it won't get damaged but won't remember I have it next time I want this profile"... still-better to use up stock making extra-

One thing I commit to is the front/longest pieces first- I do the long pieces first because if I screw it up and end up cutting them too short- they can be used for one of the shorter sides. I cut each piece with the 45 degree on each end leaving it an inch or so long---then set it with one end-usually the left-perfectly aligned with the corner of the case- then clamp to the case-checking that the aligned corner hasn't moved-then scribe/mark of the other end- I then sneak up on this mark making probably two to three cuts re positioning the piece back on the case between each cut- this is tedious but when the piece fits perfectly I glued it in place and leave it alone-alone in the sense that I don't move on to the next piece yet- not alone in the sense that I monitor it to make sure it doesn't shift- left or right or up or down. Once it has set and is in place I moved on to the next piece- the other long piece using the same technique.

After the long pieces are glued I move to the sides. Here I cut a short ~4" piece to check the 45 degree match- If the corner isn't a perfect 45 I make adjustments as necessary- Once the angle is a good match I repeat the process of setting the molding to the matched 45 degree corner then subscribing the long end if all goes well I won't need to make any adjustments ....this is the process I used in the table top post a week or so ago-

I needed no adjustments to my saws 45degree setting- but the important detail is to get the case work or for me- the table top with 90 degree corners first... but repeating the sequence of cutting each end at ~45 degrees till the inside corner of each end of the molding matches the corresponding corner of the case..

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081