Subject:
Re: Question
Response To:
Question ()

Alan Young
Dad was able to heat those large thermal mass pieces with a bottle of something....what?

He used propane-but my brother brought over a tank of "Mapp Gas"

thinking it might be helpfult for our application-(MAPP gas is also used in combustion with air for brazing and soldering, where it has a slight advantage over competing propane fuel due to its higher combustion temperature of 2,020 °C (3,670 °F) in air.) As it turned out the brass/silver solder heat exchange worked for us.

Did you consider brazing as the resulting color of the weld would have been the same?

I first asked Dad about braising-He siad he had only done braising with brass to steel and suggested we try the silver solder-first. I am OK with the the difference in tone of the SS/Brass- It filed/sanded out well and I kind of like the visual- I'll take close up shots later of the project...

Imagine the nice mortises one could make with a milling machine.

As I have used a Bridgeport on the Day Job for the last 20 years-I have always been amused by the efforts put into router/mortising jigs etc by we "woodworkers" ..I have at time brought my WW pieces in just to used the Milling Machine!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081