Subject:
Re: They are supposed to be stiff

Barry Irby
Mine have gotten Way past stiff. They were so difficult to adjust it took two hands and a lot of effort. About ninety percent of the time I leave it set at about a 1/16" and I could get it to be less but if I tried for a heavier cut I was in fear of stripping threads, wringing something off or breaking something.

Tonight I blew it out and was somewhat surprised at the amount of ancient crud I got out of it. I realize most of that would not restrict the movement, but apparently some of it did. After blowing and vacing I lubed it with some penetrating oil. It really helped. Now it is just stiff. Sort of pleasantly stiff. I checked the outfeed table and the height seems good, so I left it alone.

Now I need to free up the set screw that sets the fence to ninety degrees. Its off about a degree. The diagram shows a Allen head screw, but my machine has a slotted one. I need to make or find a very accurately ground screw driver. It wanted to cam out. I have it soaking with penetrating oil.

Maybe I should not be too upset. I've owned this machine about 45 years. Cleaning it and lubing it once every forty five years is not bad.

There is a locking knob on the back side fo the machine. Maybe I will have to get into the habit of using it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081