Subject:
Covering up the dovetails *PIC*

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
There was a time, a long time ago, that revealing how something was put together was not a fashion statement. Bending to current fashion I took more than normal care and planned on drawer divider "show dovetails" for the son-in-law chest of drawers. Nothing else I have built for the family had exposed drawer divider dovetails. Their appearance on this piece was met with disapproval. I was asked to cover them up.

Covering is accomplished with some rift grain facing pieces, about 1/8" thick. I plan on the front edge of case sides to be rift grain. Careful selection of the facing pieces results in a near invisible glue joint at the case side for I am gluing rift grain to rift grain. Rift grain on the front face makes an attractive border for a more or less figured drawer front.

The facing pieces are sized to overhang some. The overhang is quickly trimmed with a block plane, except for the part next to the intersections. For these remains I employed an impulse purchase I made some time ago when I could not resist the allure of Lee Valley Free Shipping (Evil Marketing!). One could trim these parts with a chisel but the chisel plane makes much shorter work of it.

Then I got in trouble. With two trimmings left to go on the inside overhangs I was called away from the work. When I returned some weeks later I forgot that one side of the bottom two drawer openings was not trimmed. I resumed fitting drawers, specifically the first drawer to be fit into an opening made 1/16" smaller by the untrimmed overhang of the facing piece on one side of the drawer opening. I'll spare the details but I spiraled into a terrible mess and faced building another drawer.

This episode points out a challenge that part time woodworkers face- loss of continuity. This is not the first serious screw up I have gotten into by forgetting where I left off on a project. I presume others may have faced similar situations, or maybe not if you suffer less distractions or have better memory.

Messages In This Thread

Covering up the dovetails *PIC*
Re: Covering up the dovetails
Continuity
Chalk and blue tape
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081