Subject:
Why not to use CA glue
Response To:
Repair *PIC* ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
It is not a permanent adhesive and its use will make further repair difficult.

When it was discovered that a polymer made from cyanoacrylate (CA) monomer had exceptional adhesive properties an effort was launched to see what it was good for(as an adhesive). The bond between soda glass surfaces was fleeting. It glued rubber well but failed at gluing rubber horseshoes to horse feet. No idea who discovered that it would stick wounds together but I did testing on friends and enemies that might have set the stage for wound closure. If I could induce someone to put a drop on forefinger and touch finger to thumb an instantaneous bond was formed. As they contemplated spending the rest of their life making a circle of finger and thumb I showed them that running water on the bond destroyed it in short order. And that is the limitation of this stuff. Water destroys the adhesive in minutes to days depending on exposure and water vapor does too in months to years.

Repeat, CA does not form a permanent bond with wood, at least permanent relative to other adhesives used for wood.

What I don't know......the thickened stuff is thickened by dissolving another polymer into the CA monomer. This other polymer probably alters the cured adhesive's resistance to water, for better or worse. I don't know if better, or worse and it is likely that different formulations use a different thickening polymer.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081