Subject:
Re: Water in air line question

John K Jordan
With no dryer you can expect to blow water on your work.

I use several things to keep water out of the lines. One, I made a gravity trap from brass tubing (with a drain valve on the bottom) to catch liquid water that condenses in the line from the tank. Next on the line is a cheap water separator to catch liquid water that makes it past the trap. Then a desiccant dryer absorbs any water vapor that gets that far. The air at that point goes thru a regulator then to the shop air plumbing.

I also have gravity water traps at all the air outlets but have never seen a drop of moisture from one so the other stuff must be working.

If I'm using the plasma cutter I use a second, smaller disposable in-line desiccant dryer at the point where the house enters the machine. For insurance. Plasma wants dry air.

If I had just one thing and no money I'd add a cheap centrifugal water separator. If dry air was critical I would get a good industrial desiccant dryer. I bought mine through Amazon. It has cartridges that need to be replaced periodically but I cheat, take the cartridges apart, and replace the desiccant with dry desiccant than dry the wet desiccant in the oven.

I suspect you could get by on the short term with a disposable desiccant dryer just before your spray gun. (I get them from a local Northern Tool store.) That is, of course, after draining any moisture from the tank and blowing out the lines.

Another thing recommended is to put any separator/dryers at least 20 ft from the tank. The long line allows the air to cool and most of the water vapor to condense and be caught in a gravity trap and/or a separator.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081