Subject:
Re: Repair
Response To:
Repair *PIC* ()

John K Jordan
Looks interesting to work on!

I have used all kinds of things to hide tiny lines and voids. If a bit of chip is missing, I have whittled a sliver and glued it in with white glue. If there is a fine line in lighter wood with the edges darkened too much with glue I might remove the dark part with a #11 scalpel first.

If the line is clean but visible because of a tiny valley, I usually sand some similar colored wood and press/wipe fine sawdust powder into the line and solidify with glue, often CA glue. I use a capillary tip on a bottle of fine CA, or if that drops too much glue I might put a drip onto something then dip a needle point into it to transfer just a few molecules at a time!

A line of glued sawdust can stand out if it looks too even, so sometimes I'll use a couple of different sawdust powders arranged to create "grain". I have even resorted to painting some variability on top of the line to hide it, using the Faber-Castell Pitt artist's pens/brushes.

If perfection is not needed but it just needs to look ok, the wax scratch-filling crayons for furniture can work ok.

A coincidence, but I'm about to repair a hand carved fork and refasten a carved llama that broke off the top!

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081