Subject:
Light for scratch/defect detection *PIC*

John K Jordan
I don't think I would use a special light on a sander for scratches. That would require moving the sander around to light the surface from different directions.

I prefer a hand-held light for inspection. I've bought a bunch and my hands-down favorite hand-held light of all times is this

the Fenix model LD22. I think I have seven of them, in the car, shop, house, barn, for travel. I use them every day in the shop. It's the light I carry around the farm at night, plenty bright to light up a field or see to aim a shotgun. The first one I got some years ago still works perfectly.

Why do I like it?
- small diameter, fits nicely in pocket
- four levels, very dim to blindingly bright
- uses two universally available AA batteries
- a sensible on/off switch
- a well designed UI

The soft switch on the end can be pressed lightly for momentary light, clicked to keep on. A second switch changes the brightness. The UI doesn't let you accidentally switch to or force you move through those silly modes I might never use: SOS and flashing. (This aspect of a flashlight is a deal-maker/breaker for me.)

I track the price with CamelCamelCamel and buy when the price drops below $40.

I also use naptha, wiped on with paper towel - great for revealing defects, wiping away sanding dust, AND for showing what the wood will look like with finish.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081