Subject:
Re: Making a Super Heavy table Top Question

Barry Irby
I there a particular reason they want it so thick? The weight will make it the bane of their existence every time they move, or even move it inside the house.

What I have done on two tables was to "fake it" We made the base of the table and then the top. In this case the base was rectangular. The top was thinner stock made up too long. Then we cut the ends off and "folded" them back under the top, keeping the glue joints lined up vertically. We also laminated a second thickness down both edges of the top. The folded end pieces were cut to fit between the edge pieces. The rectangle in the underside matched the size of the base, so when the top was installed it fit down over the base like a hat. If you play with the end grain alignment, even a fellow woodworker will not notice.

Then we angled the edges of the second (bottom) layer back, at the glue line. In one case the angle was about 15 degrees off horizontal. The piece went from 1 1/2" to nothing at the edges. The idea is the edge is exactly where the glue line is and conceals it. In the other case we made a large cove under the top, to the same effect. If you touched these tables you would have the sensation the top is twice the thickness. And because the frame is a rectangle if you sit at the table and feel underneath, you can't tell it's thinner. It cuts the weight about in half. On my son's, he doesn't even bother to attach the top, it just sits in place. (He has the hardware, just doesn't use it.)

If you decide to do it this way, don't forget to allow for the thinner top when you make whatever base.

I would not try to laminate two full sized tops. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm too old and too little.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081