Subject:
I'd suggest an experiment to put your mind at ease

Dick Coers
Take some scrap. Butt glue up a piece of that size hardwood to the plywood and let it sit overnight. Then try and break it off the plywood. I'm betting it takes a strike with a hammer to break the joint. That said, If you want a really good registration method, run a groove around the table top with an 1/8" slotting bit, same with the edge band, and glue in a ripped piece of hardwood for the spline. When I was in business, I usually used 1/8" untempered hardboard for the spline. Never had one come off. I consider a loose tenon overkill for this application.
A question, have you ever seen that biscuit swelling issue in person? I never have and I used the biscuits by the thousands in business. But, I don't consider it the best method for precise alignment.
If I was building the table, I would have applied a narrower edge band to the plywood and then veneered over that assembly. Just my preference, but with color differences between veneer and hardwood, I think the top presents better. Also no worry about bringing the edge band flush to the veneer.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081