Subject:
Re: drawer lube and a dovetail editorial

Hank Knight
Bill, why are you on a tirade about dovetails? You seem to be focused on saving time in the construction process. Why? Are you running a production shop? Your output, compared to mine would indicate that you are. ;) I do this for a hobby. I don't care if it takes me a year to complete a project, which it often does, as long as I'm happy with the end result. I like to make "flauntable dovetails." They give me a great deal of satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment, even though almost no one opens my drawers to look or comments on them. I was not intimidated by the fear that someone might criticize my dovetails. I like the look of well made, hand cut dovetails, so I just dug in and learned how to do it. I tossed my Leigh jig when I was satisfied that I had the process down pretty well and I've not looked back. Hand cutting them is faster, even if I take my time to make them well. (I kept my small 12" Leigh jig in the unlikely event that I decide to redo our kitchen and need to make a bunch of drawers.)

Finishing is my weakness. I like the making much more than the finishing. I don't take finishing shortcuts; I spend the time to try to do a good job, but I don't enjoy it. I admire your finishing results. I need to suck it up and learn the techniques that produce the kind of finishes you produce.

By the way, I agree that one's work should be judged with a holistic view, taking into account all of the elements: design, materials selection, construction technique and finish. Interestingly, of all of these, a poor finish can wreck the end result faster than any others.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081