Subject:
The problem with that training routine
Response To:
Dovetails ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
The advice could work for someone that spends time in the shop to spend time in the shop. Anyone needing a place to store their socks, or provide their granddaughters a place to store their socks, is not going to postpone the project a month so that they can make flauntable dovetails for the project.

I have taught people to make functional dovetails in a half day and that is good enough for a place to hold your socks.

I have 2-3 month gaps between my need to make dovetails. And the wood may differ, which has an effect on the details of how much a scribe line is split. If my goal was flauntable dovetails I would need to practice some for each project. I get no personal reward from practice nor would it lead to any functional benefit to a sock drawer. So I forge ahead. By the time I am done with 8 drawers for a project I am getting pretty good at it, and more efficient. Now efficient I get a reward from.

Of more practical benefit to Barry and others in need of a place to put your socks, somewhere on the internet is a picture gallery of dovetails someone has found in furniture. My training advice is to practice a few and when they are as good as those in the pictures get on with making stuff an don't worry about what others think. Success is a drawer that holds together.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081