Subject:
Re: question
Response To:
question ()

Barry Irby
The drawers are poplar I harvested where they were widening a road and had it sawed and air dried it. Resawed some 5/4 and let it dry further. Dovetailed the boxes with a Leigh jig. The runners in the chest are quarter sawn white oak from a tree that fell on my rental house. Beautiful pieces with lots of medulary rays. So I have softer drawers on harder runners. The runners are cut with a rabbet top and bottom for the drawer to run in and a dovetail on the back to slide into the chest. The cherry fronts are applied to the boxes.

I have one coat of shellac on the boxes. I think I am going to apply a second coat. You suggested a foam brush and that worked well. Thanks. Either way I am going to sand them smooth and wax them. The drawers slide nicely now and I think they will get better.

Trying to screw up my courage and hand cut some dovetails. I read your posts on DT's recently and am chasing it around in my head. The Leigh jug does a fine job, but I am not sure you have really made dovetails until you don them by hand.

Thanks for your help.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081