Subject:
Re: A different take on the matter

TomD
"Rather I admired the fact that he (probably a he) was able to make attractive furniture that would last, at a price ordinary folks could afford. I'm honored to own it."

So the part of this that is tricky is: "at a price ordinary folks could afford". I gather the point you are making is because he was not particularly skilled, and did messy work, his product was more affordable. That could be true in the sense that he was not particularly skilled and simply couldn't ask as much for his work, but the evident lack of skill did not translate into greater speed. It isn't faster to oversaw the ends. All you have to do is hammer a scraper, or putty knife down the line. That squares out the whole socket, and leaves you a perfect result.

Almost certainly the work you see is not a distillation of efficient technique, it is some poor guy who never got through the door of a proper cabinetshop; didn't have youtube or anything else. Of course he could only copy the stuff that was on the outside. Anyone can see that. He didn't know how they did the dovetails in better shops, nobody was ever going to show him. We, however, have had 30 years of extreme dovetailing since Klausz made his first video. Anyone with anything to top that performance, can now get on youtube. We have a lot of inside information.

"that would last". We really don't know how well it lasts, why certain classes got rid of certain furniture. Rich people tend to replace stuff, middle class people hold onto the old stuff, there are so many factors, we only know a particular piece survived, that tells us virtually nothing.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081