Subject:
A different take on the matter *PIC*

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
My wife's father was a middle classed insurance salesman, not wealthy by any means. Their house was largely furnished with furniture made by a shop in Utica, NY. An example is this small maple table.

The turnings are crisp and the drawer cock beaded. These and other refinements enhance its outward appearance. And it was affordable to a middle class family in 1930 or thereabouts and remains in use.

The drawer internal parts are clearly made as quickly as possible. The dovetails are few and the fit less than perfect. But the drawer has remained functional for decades and will continue to last.

This is the kind of old furniture I get to see, not the show pieces of their day. Key points are that it is affordable furniture that was built to last and look good.

I have another piece made about 1850. The drawers are even more quickly sawed.

It gave me a connection to the maker to see the saw kerfs and the chisel hole where the sides were stacked and chopped and the chisel broke through and made a mark in the underneath side. I've been there and done that.

In scrutinizing these pieces, likely the only time these drawers were ever scrutinized, did I berate the maker for the "sloppy" drawer work? Hell no. Rather I admired the fact that he (probably a he) was able to make attractive furniture that would last, at a price ordinary folks could afford. I'm honored to own it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081