Clarification requested

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
"I over-cut the socket but I do not over-cut the tail. In making my furniture it would be looked upon harshly by modern eyes where the socket over-cuts are almost never seen"

Do I understand correctly......?
You saw the pins(sockets) deep enough that paring is unnecessary on the sides of the pins(sockets), as sawed in the Headley drawer front?

I don't understand the 2nd sentence. How are socket cuts not seen in a half blind drawer front? I am presuming the harsh looks would be focused on overcut tails? (The only harsh looks I get are from relatives on subsequent visits who see insufficient progress on the furniture they order) I agree entirely with paring consuming a lot of drawer building time.

I was told by someone that built drawers in an English factory that the quota for a day was 6 for a typical chest of drawers. I learned how the tails were cut to achieve this rate but never thought to ask how the sockets were excavated. That would have been a handy piece of information. Next time I get an opportunity I need to see if the drawer fronts are overcut in English furniture.

Food for thought.....I have never seen a drawer removed on the Antiques Road Show and a comment made about its construction and how its construction details affected value. Antique value seems to be only a result of outside appearance. I believe drawer fetish is a modern phenomena, at least in western furniture.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.