Subject:
Re: Burnishers
Response To:
Re: Burnishers ()

John K Jordan
>>>Do you know where Ed sources his carbide rods? I have made several scraper burnishers, but am always looking for a cheap, reliable source for rods. I don't mind buying them in bulk, eg., 10 or 50 at a time.
I think burnishers work better with ferrules, since the carbide is very short, and there is a lot of lateral pressure, which makes it easy to split out the handle. Are they 6 mm or 1/4" ΓΈ? I prefer Imperial dimensions, because they fit the brass compression nuts I use.

These are from Reed Gray - he bought 100 and has (had?) a bunch extra he was selling for cost - $2 I think. I bought 20 to share with club members. I think they are 3/16". He might have enough for you.

The rods are short but I don't think I need a ferrule. 1, I sunk it tightly into Osage Orange and epoxied it after roughing up part of the rod for the epoxy to stick. It does have sideways forces but the way I use these there is not really much pressure, probably not enough to deform basswood let alone osage. I've been using a rod with a larger diameter and this smaller diameter should take even less force. We'll see!

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081