Subject:
Re: A bandsaw as the only stationary saw

Adam of Oakland
well i tell ya, if i only had one station[a/e]ry machine to choose from, it's a no-brainer: bandsaw. but that's just because of the kind of work that i like to do. the key question is what do you like to do?

bandsaws can rip OK, esp if i'm trying to save as much material as is possible from the wood since it's thinner than a table saw's kerf. also if the board is really long, i find it easier to control and i don't have the same issues with kickback that are present at a table saw (but if that's incorrect assumption, please let me know!).

the shortcoming of a bandsaw for ripping is that the blade teeth leave a rougher edge, so i typically have to use a jack-plane or a stationary planer to make something glue-line ready. you'd probably still have to do some of this finishing after a table saw, too.

there are so many things i would not want to do without my bandsaw. freehanding shallow curves. resawing to rough thickness. relatively quiet. i love my band saw. it was my first "big" machine. i won't stop woodworking if i didn't have one, but i would lament the grunt work it frees me from...

here's a lamination i did for a countertop of a bunch of 4/4 sapele that i wanted to make a 1,3/4" thick countertop from. i rip the boards to 1,7/8" on the BS, and sequentially glue them up. i could do this on my table saw, but i would still need to surface finish the final product with handplanes or a thickness planer. it was just easier on the BS. plus I would loose a bit from the thicker TS saw kerf...

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081