Subject:
Re: Woodworking 101
Response To:
Woodworking 101 ()

Hank Knight
Karen,

You didn't say where you lived so it's hard to point you in the direction of a school that's convenient to you. Nevertheless, others have mentioned junior colleges, community colleges, woodworking clubs and various dedicated woodworking schools, in addition to the numerous woodworking magazines and the internet (specifically You Tube). All are good sources for instruction. I will add another school that may, or may not, be near you. The Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in Rockport, Maine is a good school. They teach several introductory woodworking courses every year. You might want to just Google "woodworking schools." I'm sure you would come up with lots of options. Finding a good school or a woodworking program in a local college would probably be a good idea for you. They have fully equipped wood shops so you wouldn't be looking at a big cash outlay to get started. Some woodworking clubs have coop shops and there are woodworking cooperatives in a number of cities. All to these have the big machines that are available to coop members or guests and would save you from there daunting task of tooling up with a lot of heavy, expensive equipment. On the other hand, you could take the route many of us here have gravitated to and that is using hand tools for much or all of the work. Hand tools are generally much less expensive than big machines and I find hand work very satisfying. If you think you might like to go that route, be picky about the school you choose. Make sure they teach hand tool skills and don't focus exclusively on machines.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I've been a woodworker of sorts for most of my life and I still find it very rewarding.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081