Subject:
Re: Are woodworking books obsolete?

jesse cloud
There's an old saying among computer nerds "you can grep a dead tree", e.g. you can't "search" a book. When I am looking for a very specific piece of information, I always go to the computer first.

Richard is very fortunate to have editors. Too many of the books today are only very lightly edited, more for paging and appearance than for grammar, style, or content. To truly insure detailed information like woodworking plans are correct is very time consuming. Witness the large volume of errata published even in the Taunton series. I bought a pop wood book a few years ago that had so many errors in the plans that I threw the book away, thinking it likely would cause more harm than good if I missed any of the errors in application.

Having said that, when color is important, especially in finishing information, you can't beat a quality paper product. And I can't imagine reading the Krenov books or Sam Maloof on my phone.

So, I confess, I have several shelves of treasured but largely unused woodworking books, used mainly to scan the pictures for design ideas.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081