Subject:
Re: I do too
Response To:
I do ()

Mark Mandell - Gone Round In New Jersey
While we have no qualms about opening the windows to let those gentle breezes freshen the house, we also condition and humidity-control our home. I have 2 70pt. dehumidifiers running in my basement shop/office from March through October. Ambient RH ranges between 40% and 70% seasonally. I have measured the MC at various points in the house (furniture, trim, exposed framing) and find that it may seasonally fluctuate between 9 and 11%.

In that context, I have two "breadboard" coffee tables, 1 all ash, and one cherry with walnut breadboards. They are 1" thick and both are fully finished with my oil/shellac/waterborne routine. Both of the table tops will expand and contract with seasonal changes relative to the end-boards. Both tables are 28" wide. The total range (dry January vs. wet August) of dimension change across both of them is about 1/16"; just enough to let you "feel" the joint.

Cherry and walnut were air-dried; the ash was KD.

As a beginner who transitioned from plywood to solid hardwoods, I made a few mistakes in both purchasing wood and planning on movement. Fortunately, nobody got hurt when the joints let go. ;)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081