Subject:
Too much hardwood - what to do?

Larry Rupprecht
Seems like a strange problem but it is so. This isn't an offer for sale but a plea for some ideas. Of course, if someone wanted to purchase any amount, they could contact me...not sure how lumber gets shipped so that would be a learning experience. I am in extreme SE Minnesota, between Rochester and Winona.
A friend with a portable band-mill loves to cut logs into lumber. Through connections with others, I have accumulated entirely too much rough sawn lumber: oak - white and red, some cherry, and a few dozen board feet of hard and soft maple, hackberry, and walnut. Most is 5/4 with perhaps 15% in 6/4, 7/4, and 8/4 thicknesses. Probably some 4 to 5,000 board feet total and 75-80% still with the natural edge intact. The logs were culls from several logging sales, total count of logs we sawed is about 180. Lengths are from 5' to 8+ feet. We kept about half of the logs together after sawing so book-matching of 5/4 pieces is very doable.
Over the 4 years of cutting and natural air drying, most of the lumber is in the 10 to 15% moisture range. There are some beautifully figured pieces and some plain pieces, some knotty white oak, some spalted soft maple and hackberry. I never could have imagined getting such a harvest of wood.
Now that most is converted to boards [we still have 30 logs to saw this fall], it's time for me to make furniture and cabinets. However, the total is way too much for someone 69 years old to ever use. Thus the appeal for some ideas. I won't give it away except to that perfect opportunity....like a facility teaching woodworking skills to kids. But none of these in my area.
What to do, what to do, what to do? Yeah, I am smiling but I need my garage space back again!

Thanks for any replies and ideas.
Larry

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081