Subject:
Bosch Reaxx is the example
Response To:
Cost of regulation ()

ian neuhaus
as far as I can tell, the Bosch Remaxx job site saw is a Bosch 4100-09 with the Bosch's "active response" technology.

The Reaxx is 17 lbs heavier than the 4100-09 and 2" taller -- presumably because the technology requires a larger, more rigid frame.
I would expect that this weight gain would be roughly constant across most higher priced job site saws, and substantially greater for lower cost saws which typically use a lot of plastic components.
Whilst, I have no way of knowing how much "exotic" material (e.g. Magnesium or aluminium) Bosch incorporated into the Reaxx -- the price differential to the 4100-09 (about $900) would suggest some -- if other manufacturers used steel rather than a light weight alloy to improve a saw's rigidity a much larger weight gain is likely. In respect to cabinet saws, the issue of weight gain through the adoption of heavier castings, etc is probably inconsequential.

As I mentioned in another post, I don't see the licencing fee or even the R&D costs as being significant factors influencing decisions taken by the major power tool manufactures in opposing the adoption of the technology. Rather I suspect that the cost impact of upgrading lower cost saws to withstand the forces that need to be resisted when an "active response" technology is activated would result in there being no sub-$600 saws available through places like Lowes and Home Depot. I believe that over 80% of the table saws sold in the US each year cost less than $300.

So, for the major power tool manufacturers, the "real" cost to incorporate "active response" technology in every table saw is not the licencing costs, it's the likely very substantial reduction is table saw sales.

The latter may or may not be a bad thing, depending on how you view table saw use by untrained hands.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081