Subject:
Re: crown moulding question

Barry Irby
I would try caulking them at a 1/16 or and 1/8". That is if the paper ripped. If it cam loose its harder to deal with. You can try gluing it back but that is tedious, especially if texture or popcorn is involved.

When I was building I got a bad set of trusses. They lifted 1 1/2 to 2" at the center wall. Its caused by using too much juvenile wood in the trusses. Juvenile wood can expand and contract 30 times as much length wise as mature growth wood. The problem is that the top cords are in free air and the bottom cords are buried in insulation, meaning they are operating in very different conditions. The trusses "arch their backs" in winter and sit back down in summer.

The fixes are to not use juvenile lumber in the first place and to attach the drywall to the ceiling about two feet out from the wall and then use sheetrock returned or clips on the top of the walls.

If you use crown molding attach it to the ceiling/trusses and NOT to the walls so it can telescope up and down as the seasons change.

Be aware that whatever is behind the bottom edge of the crown may be exposed if the trusses lift. I have seen a room that was papered when the trusses were down and there was a half inch of wall in some places that was bare when they rose.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081