Subject:
Re: West System Pot Live VS Working Time

TomD
I find the west slow to be slow setting. I have used tons of the stuff. Plus unlike white glue, it will ease joint fitting like a grease, and closing joints will be easy, right up to the time it goes off. I do almost everything with west with 105 205. But I don't do delicate intricate, extensive glue ups with it. Actually, life might be easier if I did. I do them with white glue and it grabs at inopportune times.

All the mentioned advice, small batches, shallow trays, adding colloidal silica has been good. I would never cool it unless I was in texas. Though, once I almost set a boat on fire when I did a large stem composite structure and the heat got so great it was ready to go on fire. Compressed air cooled it out. In that case I had a mass of it and a vertical section that impeded heat dissipation.

The number one rule to make anything go better is to do a sample. Let's say you were going to do something involving 20 M&T joints. Drill 20 holes, insert 20 dowels. Whatever. Get some base experience before trusting hours of hand work to an assembly involving an unknown glue.

Epoxy is expensive. So when I do some big task, I have a list of things around the house, from say door panels on an old truck, stonework, or boats that need some TLC. So when I have surplus material I always have a place to put it. This also stops me pushing glue, though I know better about that after 37 years of using WEST.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081