Looking for Something?

Subject:
Extension Table Latch

Steve A
I am building a round extension table that was featured in Fine Woodworking. It is a design that was developed by Christian Becksvoort. I have a similar table in my dining room now that my grandmother bought in 1906. That one is going to my nephew.
On the older table there is a latch in the center of the table on the bottom. The latch holds the 2 halves of the table together. On one side of the table is a right angle bracket. The portion of the bracket that sticks down from the table has a square opening. On the other side of the table is the mechanism that engages with the bracket. Part of the mechanism is rigid and aligns the 2 halves when it slides in to the square opening on the bracket. Under the rigid portion is a spring loaded hook. The head / leading portion of the hook is rounded so that it can slide in to the square opening in the bracket until the 2 halves are fully together then the hook snaps in to place in the bracket. There is a wire from the center of the table to the edge of the table that is attached to a 'tail' on the hook. When you pull the wire the hook disconnects from the square bracket and then you can pull the 2 halves of the table apart. I am trying to find a similar locking mechanism so that I can mount it on my new table. I am hoping somebody knows where I can find one. I am going to try to post 2 pictures, 1 of each side from above the table. It is a pedestal table and it is not possible to get a picture of the mechanism from below.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081