Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Yet another restoration

Jack Dover
Just what Bill said: once you remove loose particles it just sits there. And whatever phosphate is not loose - is damn stubborn and just hangs in there tight.

Given that the sole is corrugated, I've spent quite a bit brushing whatever I could out. Once it was clean, or, rather, I was tired beyond a reason, nothing goes in the wood. So far I worked pine for a day, is it good enough? The finished surface is completely clean. Maybe I should plane some oak and see whether it darkens.

I haven't seen the plane before the Evaporust, so I have no idea whether I'd give it a pass. Surface grinding is not a silver bullet btw, one risky part that I recently realized is apparently there is a relation between a chip breaker and the sole, once it's changed it's a hassle to resolve it. I managed to find just one chip breaker that's short enough, so everything is resolved now, but it was a close call.

Also, I haven't seen #6 in the general range of 30$ for.. idk, 5 years? Regardless of its condition. Recently they got close to 100$, also, just have a look at the #4 prices. Maybe you live in a good area for this type of thing, but where I am everything on the ground has been picked clean and vendors are all running with an idea that anything remotely related to woodworking commands exorbital prices.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081