Hand Tools

Subject:
Yet another restoration

Jack Dover
Hello everyone!

I managed to get a good deal on a #6C. A previous owner wanted to restore it and had quite a bit of capacity, but changed his mind and sold it. The arrangement was such that I had a short return window, so basically the plane had to be brought to a working order in a very short time. I have a few questions now.

The sole was surface ground. Idk why, corrugated soles are easy to lap, but there's that. It looks like a grinder took a bit too much, so it's possible to set the iron assembly such that it wouldn't completely retract, leaving maybe 0.005 protruding. I bent a cap iron a bit more, filed a bit from the leading edge (there was a nick anyway) and now I can position the assembly such that it's completely retracted. Yet it's still possible to set it so it doesn't go back all the way. I found two options here:

- Put a shim between the yoke and the cap iron cutout. It's a later production Stanley, so there's plenty of slop, had to use aluminum lining fold twice. Advantage is minimal slop while adjusting (the prong of a yoke has quite a bit of slop too), disadvantage is fiddling with this shim every time, well, maybe aesthetics too.

- Try shortening the cap iron even more. Disadvantage here is I might ruin it. There's a similar issue with a transitional, which is sole shot and its iron protrudes quite a bit than this, a fat 1/16", but I'm thinking of re-doing the wooden part completely.

What would you do, would you leave a cap-iron be?

Another aspect is that previous owner seemingly dunked it in a bath of Evaporust. I don't like Evaporust and friends for two reasons. First, it leaves a thick film of black oxide which is pain to remove. Second, it goes into pores and creates a cheese like surface. Both of these is a telltale of using Evaporust and their combination looks cheesy. I didn't spent too much on in, basically, scraped as much as I could off, and started with 80 grit, but within an hour realized that manual labor isn't going to cut it. I realize it's cosmetics, but this plane is in a much better shape (95% japanning, minimal pitting, etc), so I was thinking maybe going a step further with polishing sides.

Again, what would you do if porous surface would bother you?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081