Hand Tools

Subject:
revisiting the first pic...not lines, but carbides *PIC*
Response To:
Photos for bill.. *PIC* ()

David Weaver
..which was at 150x magnification. The carbide picture in this thread is at 300x and that's enough to see things much more clearly.

I thought this was evidence of carbides notching lines out of the matrix, but I've enlarged a section of the picture (which now makes it blurry since it's enlarged), but it appears that what was needed was just the magnification...

...and that what I thought was exit lines is actually the carbides.

Without bill sharing the A2 picture, I wouldn't have thought to try to look closer. It puzzled me yesterday why one picture would show lines, and the other wouldn't. And when I was focusing at 300x, it appeared that there's a layer of lines, but I think it looks like that only because there's a visual anomaly when one is just a bit out of focus on carbide depth.

The shortcoming of my scope is that each image has a very low depth of field, so you can actually on the highest setting be in focus on the top of a carbide and apparently not the bottom (that's 600x for my scope).

So I can't have the scope take a series of pictures and put them together in something clearer. The ability to see something magnified and toplight it is pretty cheap (as I've demonstrated - at least relatively) - even to really high magnification. The ability to have a machine that will do it in sequence to make a really nice picture with depth is enormously more expensive.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081