Hand Tools

Subject:
Whatever the chinese stuff was..
Response To:
Well summarized ()

David Weaver
..I think when you had it XRFed, the conclusion is it's not M2 (that's fact, not supposition), but similar to M2 and short on some of the alloying elements (not sure why, that could be thrift).

I had chisels from the same company, equally hard, and they're pretty good, but they're just cheap stamped crosses of flat stock (it's relatively fine - not fine like powder metal, but finer than I'd expect).

the cheap stamped chisels work well and sharpen well (probably because they're harder than they're supposed to be), and I've used them to make plane irons, but since they're just a cross of flatstock stuffed into a handle, the handle soon fails (the handle is about as hard as oak).

But they're not M2, so no conclusion can be made from me at least that they suggest M2 at really high hardness would be a decent chisel (at 64 hardness, they'd chip out quickly in a power tool, I think).

That was one of the ingot steels that I thought looked good. it's got OK toughness as ingot, the carbides look OK, but just more proof that you can't judge just by test results and micrographs. That stuff is useful to point someone in a direction, but it's not always conclusive, I guess.

It does seem like the original class of ingot steels that are well regarded are reasonably fine unless they were a failure (D2 was a failure for what it was intended to be), and then some of the other ingot steels that came about later are not as careful. Modern ingot steels with any significant amount of tungsten remain a puzzler to me.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081