Hand Tools

Subject:
If it's gloss, I couldn't either..
Response To:
you missed the point ()

David Weaver
..when I made my varnish and applied it on a guitar, I was a bit disappointed because I wasn't schooled in anything as far as toning varnishes go. IT dried very clear with a slight hue, like lacquer. I couldn't tell it was varnish.

If gloss polyurethane was applied to something, I couldn't tell it, either.

I think your point at the time when I was requesting to learn how to french polish was that it was a waste of time functionally.

(the difference in this case is that I can't spray solvent finishes in my shop, which has a lot to do with the shellac). The rest isn't in the look if the finish is gloss and thin, it's in the application (and ease of doing by hand) and in the repairability.

One of the nice things about french polish is you can apply the stain and then use the stain residual oil as a lubricant immediately. That's a nice luxury. If the piece is "nice" but doesn't have to be perfect, you can apply the shellac quickly at a higher cut and go a little heavier on the oil and shellac cut and lighter on the alcohol. It's not much more time to get a functional finish than it is just padding it on (but one has to learn to use an artists brush on the areas where you can't pad - those areas also need to be good, but not perfect).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081