Hand Tools

Subject:
question on lightfast...
Response To:
Re: Water stains.. ()

David Weaver
I like the pigment stains, but only the earth color types in micronized sizes, because you can choose the intensity and make them less intense if wanted (though their ability to fit in anything that even looks like a polished surface does lend toward using more vs. less).

But my question is less on that, and more on water stains and how lightfast they are - are there options (Water stains?) that are permanent regardless of light exposure?

The last thing that I stained heavily was supposed to match something color-wise that my wife bought years ago, or it'd have had nothing but buttonlac on, but I could see favor in something that's lightfast and looks more like an aniline dye (which is a popular method for coloring guitars if not going with a toner).

I know some are mostly lightfast and may last for a very long time, but it's not easy to get info on what's truly lightfast (everything that's mostly lightfast calls itself "lightfast" vs. something like lamp black or an earth pigment that's forever lightfast).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081