Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Clarifying a point
Response To:
Clarifying a point ()

Jack Dover
Oh well, I was still replying to the "sanding vs planing" question.

I would probably agree that any possible color difference between plane irons from different steels can't be discerned by most people. And that for ones that can it is mostly irrelevant - that color is going to change even without a finish. Discussing which steel gives the best surface is also kinda fruitless - at the end of the day it's more about sharpening schedule than anything else. And as a user I'm not very interested in metics like "steel X can do 100 l.f., steel Y can do only 98.7 l.f.!" - both of these would get resharpened at 30l.f. tops. But I'd get irritated quickly when steel X takes 3 times as long to sharpen and requires a very particular sharpening setup.

And of course I agree that some choices are made early and define the outcome. I.e. one should already know what type of finish is going to be, we probably won't event sand a paint grade job. If someone is looking for the "glass tomb" type of finish - finish planing makes very little sense, such finish will kill every imaginable difference, so why bother.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081