Hand Tools

Subject:
I answered wiley's question...
Response To:
Clarifying a point ()

David Weaver
..the easy edge shaving thinness has to do with how sharpenable something is and I have seen in general with carbon steel, that it does have some relation to fine edge performance.

I also stated pretty clearly, whatever chips least easily will look better if if you don't sand.

But whatever chips least easily will be much less physical effort, which is part of the point - when you compare something to O1 or water hardening steel, at best in sharpening (for the skilled), you can get an even bargain. If you can completely avoid nicks, you may be able to use something like diamonds and get a slight subsidy.

If nicking doesn't occur proportionally to wear and honing, the bargain is lost. It is the beginner's trap, and is why I can't get a practical gain from V11 over something that has better fine edge holding.

In terms of effort, you may not care.

In terms of uniformity for the surface, if you weren't sanding, what I stated is true - if you can maintain edge uniformity, you will spend less time and the surface will look better. The difference between washita brightness and autosol on wood brightness is something you'll see on bare wood. Once you apply oil and a reasonable layer of shellac, you won't. But if you leave lines, you will see them, and they will stand out to you because they will not be as parallel as you think they'll be. I don't think those are marks of character.

So, uniformity (lack of defects) is the key.

What I won't be able to convince you of, and I don't really care (I've learned this, it's not a slight to you, but it's these things in general - if someone is not doing enough with tools to notice a difference in effort, why would they care? If you rip wood by hand to do a lot of woodworking, you will quickly become intolerable to any rip saw or crosscut saw that is cutting or rasping - because you will tie that to unneeded effort, and a problem that is easily solved, literally a few minutes. If you do little sawing, your mind will think of finishing that cut (and you may be in a position where you can't sharpen a dovetail saw in three minutes or a large rip saw in four or so).

That is a strong combination for someone using hand tools, though- better more predictable results and less effort, and also fewer unseen errors to follow up on.

Thanks to the cap iron, any reasonable sharpness will work, though, it's not surface brightness.

you may also feel like you don't test edge strength, but if you plane over anything with glue in a joint, you're testing edge strength.

Messages In This Thread

26c3 in a plane iron... *PIC*
So, what's the point if it doesn't... *PIC*
also- cost....it's cheap
Plane blade metrics
V11/XHP is sort of the woodworker's alloy
toughness not necessary?
see the end of my statement..
How visible?
Re: How visible?
nasty steel and very fine abrasive...
Warren and David
initially, no significant difference....
nicking?
interrupted cuts...
Re: interrupted cuts...
Re: interrupted cuts...
large nicking...
Re: large nicking...
There's good merit to carbon steels...
Re: There's good merit to carbon steels...
Re: nicking?
A different woodworking universe
slipped the lane...
Re: A different woodworking universe
Clarifying a point
I answered wiley's question...
Re: Clarifying a point
Why blade life is most important to me.
I'd have trouble.....
separately...
comment from left field - how it ages...
Durable finish *PIC*
My experience has been the same...
Shellac works well for furniture too *PIC*
Water stains..
Re: Water stains..
question on lightfast...
Re: question on lightfast...
from Jeff Jewitt Q & A on ‘lightfastness’
Re: from Jeff Jewitt Q & A on ‘lightfastness’
discussion dye fading coming soon *NM*
Tuesday
You stated an obvious fact. The point? *NM*
Stay Tuned
I get where you're going, by the way..
where toughness is important.
where toughness is important- always
tempering question..
the answer that I'd take less toughness... *PIC*
Different chipping *PIC*
Re: Different chipping
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081