Hand Tools

Subject:
a minor disaster. sort of... *PIC*

David Weaver
pushed the limits going from parks to water to the freezer at a high rate (well, too fast into the water after the parks and then quick to the freezer), resulting in a crack from the keyhole into the blade about halfway into the cutting area. only the second crack I've ever had, but I didn't hear it.

A good lesson learned. Chasing hardness with the freezer is a risk in general, you'll get a crack every once in a while. Never a problem with chisels as they're without bevel when I heat treat them, so there's no really thin edge of failure point to start a crack.

Either the crack will propagate or it won't, it doesn't really matter given that it's about $10 worth of steel (actually, a $50 sheet is enough for 6 irons and 6 dump knives). No reason to go overboard with the glazing with an iron with a crack, though, so it's where it will stay now.

Performance results from the initial edge (same behavior - super crisp right off of the washita and just a strop with the corner of the buffing wheel, no "real unicorn") just as good as the last iron, though. I doubt the hardness of the two differs by a point.

The virtue of this stuff is simple -the 2 extra points or so of hardness that it attains at a given temper, so you can have it fully temper, and still have the ability to only take a small burr off of a washita and then one flip of the iron and the burr is gone, and the edge rivals something you'd get off of a finish stone or compound with a softer iron.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081