Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Those look great...
Response To:
Those look great... ()

Jack Dover
Thanks David! Really wanted to avoid pinkish redness. To me natural red oak color is associated with hardware store cabinet fronts and contractor made furniture, really happy that amber shellac moved it towards brownish tints.

Yeah, regular maple looks quite unremarkable as well as beech with barely discernible grain, even when aged. Maybe that's why people stain maple necks. But I think dark semi-translucent finish like BL is better, exactly because it doesn't look aged. I hope I'll try all kinds of lac products one day, those colors are majestic.

The story with oak was this: there was a red oak panel, I had half of can of shellac left. Shellac was already cut down, but I figured it was thick enough to fill the pores. Did a few coats, let it dry overnight. The next day I expected that fresh layer would stay on top, since whatever went under the surface has hardened. All the fresh layers soaked in. I persisted and brushed about a half of what's left - it was still soaking in. At this point it was clear I'll drive to a store, so the top was left to dry yet one more day. At this point I though that this should be enough, and proceeded with building finish with uncut shellac from the new can. It looked fine while wet, but when dried it had those little dimples where shellack went into pores — wtf? The finish buildup was already thicker than what I wanted, also tint was not what I wanted, so instead of building layers on top I grabbed a rag and a can of spirits and wiped it off. And did it: shellack got to paste like consistency and a rag worked it into pores.

The oak was very, very dry, it used to be a pewter put right next to a radiator for at least 50 years. Pores seemed to be larger than usual, but this could be me looking at them up close (while trying to figure what's going on), lots of fine dust when planing. Yet it was quite the contrast compared to cherry or walnut, which would require just a couple of layers at most. So on oaks I'm using a filler now.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081