Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: I found another older picture... *PIC*

Jack Dover
Pretty much this. I just love shellac, I really do. It's invariably a base for all my [sloppy] finishes. All my pieces are getting a wash coat of a very diluted shellac before glue up, so that any glue squeeze out doesn't stick to wood and to save tons of time on tight areas cleanup. Once assembled I usually do one or two coats of shellac before applying other finishes. This is just to ease stripping in case of a screw up, once I was able to remove a coat of WB poly with just an alcohol.

It does change color, even bleached shellac, but I like it. Here's a picture of a cupboard that I finally completed a week ago. No stain or dye on a frame (walnut drawer fronts and panels are stained), all the color is from amber shellac and sunlight. A far cry from your test boards (I wish I could do it like that!), but a big difference from original color, which looks dry and splotchy in the third picture (whiteish streaks are probably my camera).

Shellac should cover pores just fine according to literature, however I couldn't make it on red oak in other projects. It absorbed shellack like sand absorbs water, I just stopped thinking I'll run out of shellac. This time pores were filled so I had to sand and, of course, rounded over some areas. Maybe I need a better technique rather than "plug the sander and go to town"?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081