Hand Tools

Subject:
nasty steel and very fine abrasive...
Response To:
Re: How visible? ()

David Weaver
...will yield a beautiful result, but...

... once it nicks, most people won't do the work that it takes to hone the nicks out, and combine that with some makers recommending no power grinding and you'll see what you saw at LN events. Edges that are just sharpened bits between nicks that never get honed out, and the nicks occur faster than they're removed.

Rob cosman has a video where he attempts to boast a 32 second honing process. In it, he leaves nicks in the iron (which is predictable).

it's nice to not have them occur in the first place so one can sharpen about a thousandth off of an iron rather than 4 thousandths. That sounds trivial, but it's a HUGE difference in effort.

That said, when I put a 35 degree final bevel on all of the irons used in the test and they just planed continuous wood, none showed defects until contaminants appeared in the wood (and nothing survived the silica in maple).

It's my opinion that someone who becomes experienced with sharpening and using, but who wants a good surface, will tend toward whatever hones predictably and doesn't develop "equilibrium nicking" like A2 does for most users. I was surprised in the test to see no nicking form as I tested A2 a decade ago and an IBC blade that I'd received to test did nick some, and the result was a significant loss in edge life, even though the nicking was small (about 30% vs. a similar hardness LN iron).

It's possible since that was a new iron that it wouldn't do it with more use, but I didn't have any interest in following it up. The iron mentioned in this thread doesn't do it with a bevel that was mostly cut before heat treat even occurred, and the iron was made by a dope.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081