Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: SAPFM *LINK*
Response To:
Re: SAPFM ()

John Aniano in central NJ
Hello Jack, et. al.,

I have to take exception to your last comments about 17th century oak furniture. Please don't take it as a personal jibe, that's not my style nor temperament. So I'm apologizing in advance. I just feel that something should be said, so I'll say it.

Yes, 17th century furniture might outwardly appear "heavy" and not to everyone's taste. I get that, really I do. However, to say that some examples are not fine furniture is ridiculous, in my opinion. Please take a look at Peter Follansbee's excellent blog postings (attached link) where he is methodically recreating a rare 17th century cupboard. He has a photo of the original piece he's copying and I dare anyone to say that it's not fine furniture.

Lastly, to lump 17th century furniture into a category with your suggestion ..."I'd dare to say that required skills are about the level of a modern day beginner"... again, in my opinion, is ludicrous! Peter Follansbee has tackled this amazing project, this amazing recreation of a stunning piece of furniture. To have expertise like his labeled a "beginner" is an insult to Peter's amazing skill and his ability to explain the intricacies of this piece.

Maybe some of the simpler 17th century pieces are easier to make than other forms of later furniture, but to lump them all to the category of "beginners work" is wrong. I've made several joined stools using techniques similar (or identical) to those Peter uses, so I have some, limited experience with this period of furniture. To say that it is all work suited for beginners is incorrect.

John

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081