Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: What lies behind drawer #1?

Jerome
> I am in a stage of rationalising my tools, with a view to downsizing the workshop when I retire in a few years time. Many of the tools I shall keep have a story.

Hey Derek, thanks for sharing these stories.
I guess my question came from the feeling that an under bench drawer cabinet was better suited for cold storage than regular operations. It makes more sense to me in a downsizing context.

> I do not collect tools. I appreciate that some treat a tool as a means to build something, and are not fussed about how they look. I like using tools with beauty. They inspire me to reach for their level.

The objects we make are mirrors of our own perfection, or something along these lines?

I don’t collect either. I feel like anything owned is a burden only relieved with use. I am not a minimalist either, I just try to remove as much as I add, keeping what feels good.

I find the Studley tool cabinet fascinating because of its great design, craftsmanship and exquisite selection of fine tools it contains. I appreciate the looks and ergonomics of such a wall cabinet over drawers and chests but I have not yet been able to imagine an alternative to Studley’s gothic style where my more modern tools won’t feel foreign.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081