Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Veritas plane blade slots

Steve D, CT
I also have an abundance of block planes including a MF that is very close to it's Stanley equivalent.

Your point about the unique blades was a concern. Since I don't tend to pile up blades for swapping that probably wouldn't be an issue with me. I tend to keep a separate plane with it's own camber setup since they were relatively inexpensive. New models are another story.

I see the Veritas low angle jack and shooting plane as superior to the LN due to their adjustment mechanism (LAJ) and blade material (O1 or V11 > A2). I picked up a LN 62 this year and don't care for the adjustment on that.

I have two 80's new style Stanleys with Hock blades that were my point of enlightenment on hand planes. Not very graceful but they do the job. Since then a vintage Stanley another vintage MF and a fixed mouth Stanley I picked up to chamfer trim boards when I paint. That is a cheapo in case it decided to leave my hand from the ladder.

I'm open to the MF planes but as I posted earlier, I do in fact have a smooth bottom #4 that was hiding. It actually works nicely but I've been out of the shop for a while. I grabbed two smoothers in a row with corrugated soles and was scratching my head why.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081