Hand Tools

Subject:
yes on the smell.....
Response To:
Re: Catalpa... ()

David Weaver
I thought the same thing with the quartered look, like tight grained chestnut. Similar color in the wood that I have.

The odor wasn't too bad planing, but I couldn't place it. It's not fruity or similar to pine, nor was it peppery like rosewood. I guess it "smells like catalpa".

The way it planes reminds me a little bit of mahogany - the way it sounds tapping it does, also.

I'm sure it grows in large trees because the first golf course I ever played at had a huge catalpa tree around driver distance from the first tee. I got stuck behind it a lot. My dad can't identify lumber in most cases other than very common stuff like mahogany, cherry, oak, walnut....but he is far better at identifying live trees than I am (from sorting out what to cut for firewood as a kid), or I'd have never known what that tree was.

The golf ball magnet tree would easily yield two piece quartered guitar bodies, probably one piece. I don't anticipate anyone would saw a large tree like that and sell such an orientation to anyone other than a guitar factory.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081