Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Period Furniture Construction

David Weaver
I'd like to see an actual comparison of kiln dried wood vs. two year air dried wood as I"m not convinced that the KD would be much more stable.

If the two were same MC and 4 months old, I could see it.

I'm never going to be a digester of period furniture, and think the fascination with dead copying is odd, but whatever, I'm not the customer. I don't copy many or any tools (which would be a comparison for me since I build little furniture) completely, either.

Given that I don't read or know much about it, I'd be curious if more of the problem with some of the early furniture was using wood that wasn't seasoned in the first place.

I've got plenty of K-D wood that has stability problems in my garage after a cold snap, even when it's years old, but the stability seems to be less twist and cup, etc, and more just end checking. The easiest to observe is beech. Air dried more than a year old and kiln dried behave identically. Air dried under seasoned is a much bigger problem.

Guitar necks that I've made from air dried cease to move after a few months, but the first seasonal change that they see hanging (unfinished) can be problematic.

Strangely, one of the blanks that's bowed the most since sawing (it didn't bow right away ,but has over time) is baked maple that was baked hard enough that it smells like a fire when handsawing it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081