Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: More specifics for a "cranked" dovetail saw bl

David Weaver
in order for those blades to avoid cracking, they'd need to be spring and slightly soft.

And the whole blade would have to be formed and then hardened and tempered separately later.

I heated a bandsaw blade the other night and folded it, but the teeth didn't survive. I also folded it the wrong way :\ it'll cut left to right if I get teeth filed in it.

I'll recut some teeth in what's left and still give it a try, but not until later in the week as I have limited time in the shop and am making things.

The way to make one of tehse, I believe, is to have a good quality vise and a mapp torch and put the blade in the vise on an incline and mapp torch it and hammer the hot part as you go and then if partial hardening is important (heat the whole thing and blow on it with some space past the ends of the bends.

We shall see. I don't have any other spring steel stock or blades other than bandsaw blades (but they'll work if anything else does, just more blowout on the back of the cut due to skip tooth. It's just a novelty at this point, but it's fun.

The luxury of making things like this instead of buying them is the segment of bandsaw blade that I'm using is probably about $5. If I ruin it, no big deal. If I make one and it works (i'll relax the hook on the teeth to lower the blowout), then if it starts to crack, I won't lament it - I'll just make another one.

I use the same bandsaw blade to saw guitar body blanks as a copying saw or fine tooth is just too slow for that kind of work, but a relaxed skip tooth bandsaw blade will make short work of cutting out a guitar body. Almost as fast as setting up a bandsaw and using it, but without the need to have the bandsaw or floor space.

Plus, the making pointed me toward using a bimetal blade, and that's been just dandy - I wouldn't have connected the two things (unused portaband blades and frustration with the portaband blowing through blades quickly - and then thinking - ghee while I have this stuff out, I'll break one of these and put it in the frame saw) without tinkering. To most, this is a waste of time. But this setup will rip hundreds of feet of metal in the next several years for me unless I step in front of a bus, and suddenly, it's comfortable and relatively quick - and immensely satisfying.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081